“We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.”
This quote—by Will Durant from The Story of Philosophy—sums up why daily rituals help us live our best lives. Routines may seem rigid and boring, but they can be quite the opposite: they provide structure so we can be more productive. This, in turn, gives us more freedom and control over our lives.
Forty percent of our daily behaviors are attributed to our habits. If we are mindful of these often unconscious actions, we can focus our energy on our priorities. There is no one-size-fits-all. Everyone’s daily routines will be different. Just because a routine works for one highly successful person, doesn’t mean it will work for another.
Elon Musk, Founder and CEO of SpaceX, gets up at 7 am. Chuck Norris meditates. Payal Kadakia, founder and CEO of ClassPass, spends quality time with her family. These are just some of the daily rituals inspirational people have chosen.
Need some new daily ritual ideas to implement into your life? These are some of our favorites for living intentionally.
- Drink water and stay hydrated. If you don’t like the taste of water, try adding a lemon slice or cucumber for flavor. There are apps to help you keep track of your water intake. Or just listen to your body and hydrate when you feel thirsty.
- Keep a gratitude journal. Write down a few things you’re grateful for today, and a few things you’re grateful for in your life overall. Here are some prompts to write about—try a different one every day!
- Spend dedicated alone time connecting with kids or partners. Focus on the human connection. Put away phones and get rid of distractions. Here are some things to do with your partner and some things to do with your kids!
- Unplug from tech devices when you need to focus or take a screen break.
- Meditate if you need a break, to recharge, and to connect with yourself. Here are some techniques for meditation.
- Read before bed; unwind with a book versus a bright screen. Here are reasons why reading a book before bed is beneficial.
- Take a cold shower. Or a hot one, depending on your mood.
- Get rid of clutter and messes. Make your surroundings pleasant to look at. Here are some ways to declutter. There’s also the popular KonMari Method!
- Get sunlight and fresh air—don’t forget to enjoy nature. Here are some fun, free things to do outside.
- Move your body! This can be through working out or can be incorporated into your daily activities.
Originally written for The POUND Beat: CLICK HERE FOR THE STORY.